Sunday, November 05, 2006

Legal Alien

In 1994 the transition from apartheid to democracy settled on South Africa. As most of the world knows, there was not the feared blood bath. Instead there was a dream being fulfilled which most of the population shared, peace, integration and re-entering the world community after long years of internation criticism and sanctions.

My name is Solinus. I'm a Canadian man who lived a privileged life on Canada's beautiful Salt Spring Island. I retired in 2000, left my beloved family and country and came to South Africa. I came to meet a best friend, Mauveen Moore whose Auntie lived in the local old folks home and who Mauveen felt needed attention and care.

Her Auntie Hetti was old and coming to the end of a long life. Hettied had lived a full and challenging life in South Africa throughout the 20th century. She was also bright and sharp and great fun. And she had a wonderful memory.

Knowing that both of us wanted to remain in South Africa, Mau and I were nevertheless, restless. We needed a challenge. It was obvious there were unlimited possibilities, so many opportunities in this exciting new democracy. However, the country felt literally as though it was 30 years in the past, certainly in comparison to the modern life we had lived in Canada.

In order for me to remain, Mau and I were married in a civil ceremony by officals of Home Affairs. We then started a successful information publication called "Blitsgids", meaning 'lightning guide', much like the Saltspring telephone book in Canada. Although the publications took intense effort and time I was still able to start various community projects and programs working with the poor, of which there are many.

The language in Montagu, a rural farming community, was in 2000, principally Afrikaans. Now, in 2006, English is widely spoken although there are many who cannot understand my English, not I fully their Afrikaans. In addition, Khosa is also a principal language in the Western Cape here at the southern tip of the African continent.

Thirty months after arriving and with Blitsgids succeeding, I knew I wanted to give full time to making a real difference. After working on a number of projects including the establishment of a Victim Support Room at our local police station, I met Dulcie Winegaard, a powerful dynamic woman who had been the leading activist in our region of 5 villages and towns during the apartheid era. Following the government transition in 94 from white rule to black rule Dulcie had continued to struggle for the people and this struggle very much continues today.

HIV Aids is just one of the many pervasive challenges South Africans face, while the gap between the wealthy, the small middle class and the poor is ever present. Close to 70% of South Africans are severely poor.

As a result of Dulcie’s unrelenting commitment to the poorest of the poor, she was last year awarded with the title “Auntie”, one of twelve such officially titled “Aunties” in South Africa. An ANC stalwart, she is a veritable angel at work for the people, all the people though her emphasis is the poor. For over two years now I have volunteered as her personal assistant, utilizing my office and managerial skills to promote her vision. She keeps me very busy.

I have lived in the mountains since arriving here in June 2002 , a two hour drive north east of Capetown in the Western Cape, and in the village of Montagu, a truly lovely village at the foot of Mt. Blopunt. We are settled between the meeting point of two distinct and impressive mountain chains located at the very beginning of the Klein Karoo which is semi desert, and where "The Gods Must Be Crazy" was filmed. One is presented with these 2 mountain ranges spreading outwards to the east and to the north. Indeed there are mountains everywhere in the Western Cape, and their beauty, combined with the agriculural fields, the many vinyards and small labour communities is exquisite.

Always inspiring is the blasted out tunnel magically allowing entry to Montagu through the Langeberg mountain range, right where not only the mountain ranges split, but two small rivers join. Above the tunnel is an ancient English fort protecting the village beyond. The village, which appears to be from a different time deservedly won the "Prettiest Village in South Africa" award in 2004,

When I got here in 2000 the experience was like stepping into another world and into a very unique culture. The result of international sanctions against South Africa had held much of South Africa and these rural areas 30 years in the past, certainly compared to modern life in Canada. It was calm, composed in daily routine and very refreshing after a hectic north american life.

As for my accommodation I reside in a small white plastered brick cottage appearing like something out of a myth or fantasy. I have my guitars, my keyboard, my computer and my gardens. The cottage is situated by the river which flows past Mt. Blopunt's base. With my accomodation so small, and the weather so great much of the year, I see my living room as being the gardens and the brick courtyard which rests under two large branching trees with an open braai utilized for cooking many days of the year. Much of my life is lived outdoors, with the cottage open most days to the environment and daily breezes.

So I find myself living on a beautifully treed and gardened property, conscious I’m still living a privileged life. Outside my largely white enclave and within the longest and most lovely wine belt of South Africa however, I’m surrounded by severe non white poverty and all its challenges.
It is known in South Africa that there are visitors who once they step foot on the continent, fall in love with the the people and the endless beauty, and then find they cannot leave. One of my children asked me why I remain here so long. I replied, 'because I feel that life is 'real' in Africa". It seems there is not a day which passes without something dynamic and amazing happening. And often they are life and death issues. Sometimes it's despairing, expecially the poverty and crime, but then I shake it off. And it feels so good and so very enjoyable to be actively working in the communities of both the poor and the privileged.

I write this blog for my children, family and friends. I hope to tell you about my legal alien’s life in South Africa, about the country and the people, and why its so ‘real.’

I will try to post bi-monthly, perhaps more often, perhaps less. For although I'm in a village without a cinema, without clubs, without much personally to do but socialize and entertain oneself with music or outdoor activities, there's never a dull moment, and seemingly never enough time.

There’s lot to tell you. To be continued.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home